Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Smackdown: Rome vs. Paris - The People: People In General & The Women

Rome vs. Paris The People - Part 1 & Part 2


(Editor’s Note: As usual I’m running long so this is going to be in installments. Part 1 & Part 2 are below. Part 3 - The People I Met will be next week, I'm off for Easter.)

People In General


The demeanor of Parisians and Romans is representative of their cultures. The Romans are more demonstrative in both body movements and voice, while the Parisians are more formal and reserved. Even if you don’t speak the language, a small example of their style is displayed in ordinary conversation. When two Italians are speaking you think something EXCITING is about to happen. When two Frenchman speak you think something IMPORTANT is going to happen. For the most part neither comes to pass...but they are equally pleasant people.

In Rome, my mom and I enjoyed the pizza (& vino) so much at the restaurant where we had dinner on Thursday, we returned on Saturday night. When we walked in the door, our waiter from Thursday remembered us, told us it would be a short wait, but not to worry he would make sure we were seated as soon as a table became available. He checked back every few minutes giving us a updates with a smile. We stood in the small lobby and the owner, stationed at the front door, was sure to exchange pleasantries with us as we waited...even though he didn’t speak English. We could see into the area where they were making the pizza and even the cooks flashed welcoming grins. After we were seated and finished off our pizza and more wine, I asked the waiter for the check. He laughed and joked with me: "The check? But you haven’t seen the dessert menu yet!" What added to the festive mood, something I think is representational of a real family place like this one, was the singing of Italian classics by a group of 20 or so in the back of the place. Young, old and in-between, were singing badly and loudly. They really enjoyed themselves and didn’t give a damn what anybody thought.

While I was treated like a long lost brother in Rome; conversely in Paris I was the very familiar stranger. My room key was metal like your house key. I thought it was for a jail cell it was so big. It had a placard about the size of a deck of cards attached to it with the room number written on it. Because I didn’t want to lug it around, I turned it into the desk for safekeeping whenever I left the hotel. In the course of my travels, I must’ve turned the key in 2 dozen times. About half those times, the girl behind the desk was the same one who checked me into the hotel. We always said "Bon Jour" and both said "Merci". But even though I’d been through this key exchange routine with her 10 times, it always seemed like it was the first time I ever walked into that hotel. Not once did she ever smile or say "Are you having a nice time?", "How’s you’re day?", "Do you need extra towels?". Nothing. If I asked her directions, she always answered succintctly in English. Offered nothing more, nothing less. Let’s just say I don’t think she was going to the back of French restaurants belting out old French songs with her buddies after a glass of wine or two too many.

Now in our "TGIFriday’s/Happy, Happy Birthday" existence, many Americans, would interpret her as rude. I never got that feeling. She was very pleasant, but just to the point and very French (aloof) in her interaction with customers.

Winner: TIE Both Groups are very nice. They each have their ways.

When visiting Europe I have always tried to learn a few basic phrases (Hello, good bye, please, thank you, excuse me, where is and most importantly Do you speak English...) I really think the attempt at using the host language put you in better standing with the locals. Therefore, I have had nothing but positive experiences with everyone I met in Paris and Rome. This was true in Prague as well, but the Czechs enjoy the reputation of being the friendliest people in Europe, so they might’ve just been nice all the same.

The Women


The Parisian women are very skinny, not always in a good way either, and have features that tend to be longer and sharper like Sarah Jessica Parker. The Roman women are definitely cuter in a Sandra Bullock sort of way. Softer features with dark hair and dark eyes over fair to olive skin.
Attention to fashion seems to be a priority with the French women. It was cold when I was there and they all wore overcoats cinched at the waist that accented their figures. More importantly, most all of the Parisian women wore these sexy, knee-high leather boots. Black or brown over their jeans or with a skirt, it didn’t matter the rest of the outfit, the boots were there giving even the least attractive girl a little something. Meanwhile the women in Rome tended to be a little more Euro-trashy. They had cute faces and figures, but the 1983 Madonna get-ups needed an overhaul.


Winner: Split decision. The best outcome would be one of the cute Italian girls putting on one of those overcoats and a pair of those knee-high leather boots.

No comments: